the fifties girl

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Growing up, my dad would joke around with my sisters and me, calling us each by a decade that suited our personality best. I was always the "50's" girl. I am not sure if the name is a product of my love for vintage fashion, or if that love came from the moniker, but classic silhouettes have always been one of my style staples.
A few years back I got this wide accordion pleat skirt at the Gap and wore it all the time. Though the skirt went out of style, I could not bring myself to part with it. It sat in the back of my closet until I tried it on about a year ago. It used to fit around my hips, but it now sits higher on my waist, right on with the '50s skirt trend. Needless to say, that skirt made it back to the front of my outfit queue pretty quickly.
It has a bold monochromatic polka dot pattern, which makes it surprisingly versatile. Though I usually pair it with a jean jacket or a solid sweater, I really enjoy the monochrome pattern mixing with my grey plaid button down. I accessorized with a pair of silver kitten heels (which my mom saved from the '80s!...must run in the family), and I finished with a cherry red lip on top!
So the pieces are about as much a blast from the past as my look, but I managed to find some similar pieces to recreate the look, linked here:

                

What is your favorite fashion decade?

7 comments :

  1. This outfit is so cute. I love the pairing of the checked top with the pleated skirt, you are def channeling your inner 50's girl!
    -Alex
    www.monstermisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. 50's Perfection! The skirt is amazing, don't you love when trends come back? Love the gingham top paired with the skirt....and the vintage kitten heels!! Is 80's considered vintage? Gorgeous Look Coco!

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That skirt is absolutely darling! I love the subtle detailing.

    x
    Marta
    www.paradiseplayground.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love your skirt! :)

    xoxo, rae
    http://www.raellarina.net/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing post! And I love your blog:)
    I am now following you on Bloglovin, follow me back?:)

    bloglovin.com/blog/3880191
    theprintedsea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like a preppy style, which is probably the fifties. Cute post.

    pinkandnavystripes.com

    ReplyDelete