my furry valentine

Thursday, February 13, 2014

This is not a story of love at first sight, but a true love nonetheless. Like all fine things (read: pearls, red wine, and Hermes birkin bags), this love took time. It all started in 2001 when my family decided to buy our first puppy. After a couple of trips to the breeder's house, the runt of the litter won my parents heart. The Cors family was now the proud owner of a little shih-tzu named Maxine May.


I, on the other hand, had never been much of an animal lover. Little, furry things didn't interest me. So, naturally, the same went for our teeny tiny pup. I remember our family sitting in a circle, playing with Maxine. My sisters were begging her to come, but stubborn shih-tzu that she is, Maxine always turned away and came to me.

I am not sure if it was her easy going yet prissy demeanor that I identified with, or the fact that she, too, had a passion for fashion, but eventually things just clicked. I, Nicole Cors, became dog lover, all thanks to my Maxine.


These days, pretty much everyone knows that my dog is my baby. The bond that humans can share with a pet never ceases to amaze me. I cherish the cuddly love that she unconditionally gives, and the fits of laughter she can bring about. I love that she responds to her myriad nicknames, princess, tiny girl, little, with a tilt of her head and a bouncing saunter, tail waving side to side. As she is aging (gracefully, I must add), I cannot help but think of how no dog will ever compare. Maxine will always be my furry valentine.

                


Do you have a furry valentine of your own? 
                                                    

10 comments :

  1. This is such an adorable post. I feel the same way about Misa, dogs really bring so much love into your life! Maxine looks great with her hair bow!
    -Alex
    http://www.monstermisa.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alex! They are the sweetest :). Haha thanks- Maxine is quite the girly girl dog.

      Nicole

      Delete
  2. What a sweet post and what a furry fashionista Maxine is, too cute!! I do have a furry valentine- Maggie (Australian Cattle Dog) We don't always see eye to eye, she is very stubborn and sassy, my husband says she's just like me :) Two peas in a pod. Enjoy your valentines day!
    ~Jamie
    www.rubyslipperdiaries.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jamie!

      Awwww so precious! Haha I love it :).

      Thanks, enjoy yours as well!

      Nicole

      Delete
  3. Coco, all you! Best one for me so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Papi! And thanks for picking out Maxine ;) ...what would all of our lives be without that girl?

      Coco

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh, your little pup is so adorable!! What a cute valentine :)

    Kristina does the Internets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristina!!! She's my favortie valentine of them all :)

      Nicole

      Delete