Mani-for-the-cure: Celebrating Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

This week I was inspired by National Breast Cancer Awareness month! Being the granddaughter of a breast cancer survivor (and an all around lover of the color pink), I have supported the cause for as long as I can remember. I have bought many pink accessories, rocked a pink ribbon on my coat, and bought lots of yummy yoplait yogurt with the pink lids. Now that I am entering my twenties, it is important for me to go beyond these ways of support and monitor my health with regards to breast cancer. 

That being said, one resource I want to share with you is Bright Pink. Bright Pink targets younger women, and focuses its efforts on early prevention and detection of breast and ovarian cancer. The fight against breast cancer begins with you. Their "assess your risk" tool takes about five mins and is filled with great tips on how to prevent breast cancer. Once you're finished, it gives you a write-up to better understand your risks for breast cancer.

And now for the "mani-for-the-cure"! 






















For this look I used a combo of pink tones from OPI.
    -Base: "Designer...De Better" (rose gold)
    -Half moon: "If You Moust You Moust" (bubble gum pink)

Half-moon mani:
I painted my nails rose gold.
Then, I used a detail brush to outline a pink half moon and filled it in. 

Another trick is to paint your base color (pink).
Once the base is dry, place a round sticker at the base of your nail. 
Paint over your whole nail (rose gold); then, remove the sticker.

Ribbon:
Draw two diagonal lines from one corner of the nail to the other. 
Connect the lines at the base of your nail. 

<3, Coco


What is your favorite breast cancer awareness/research organization? Do you have any inspirational women in your life who have been impacted by breast cancer?

21 comments :

  1. Luckily no one close to me (family/friends) ever had to deal with cancer. My parents friend however is a breast cancer survivor, rough years are now far behind her, thanks to modern therapy & medicine :)
    Love how you painted your nails by choosing a glittery nail polish to mix with the pink one- it's a superb combination :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maja!

    Thanks for your comment and for visiting Keep Calm and Coco On! I am happy to hear that she is healthy now. I'm glad you liked the nail polish combo! :)

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the gold and pink nail polish combo!

    Lauren,
    http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren!

      Thanks! I am glad you liked it!

      Thanks for your comment and for stopping by!
      Nicole

      Delete
  4. love it! great nailpolish color idea!

    lifeisashoe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad you liked the colors!

      Thanks for stopping by :)
      Nicole

      Delete
  5. I love the nails! And all the pink :)

    agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Becky! Pink is a beautiful thing :)

      Thanks for your visit and comment!
      Nicole

      Delete
  6. Ahhh nails for a cause I love it! Total inspiration! (I'm a huge nail buff btw)

    http://lasaloperie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isa,
      Thanks for your visit! I am glad you like the idea!
      Happy to connect with another nail buff :) can't wait to check out your blog!

      Nicole

      Delete
  7. the gold nails look awesome here! so party like! and nails for a cause <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pop Champagne! Thank you! They would be super fun for a party :)

      Thanks for your visit and comment!
      Nicole

      Delete
  8. Absolutely amazing! So inspirational :)

    Hayfa
    http://londonloafers.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hayfa! I am glad you enjoyed!

      Nicole

      Delete
  9. This came out awesome, I love the mixture of pink and glitter! I just bought a pink Essie nail polish that supports breast cancer and I love it, I should try it with the tutorial you put up!
    -Alex
    http://www.monstermisa.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Alex! Ooooh sounds so cute! Let me know how it looks :)

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, those are some impressive nails - they look awesome! I have to go find that rose gold color now!

    jess
    Quaintrelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess! Glad you like them :)

      Its a fun color!

      Nicole

      Delete
  12. LOVE this! i already obsess over pink + gold anyway, so this is just the perfect combination!!!

    xx
    elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elise! I love a good pink+gold nail (or decor, or outfit, or, well, anything :) ) as well!

      Nicole

      Delete
  13. This is really good! I wish I had good nail art skills!!

    www.asequinloveaffair.com

    ReplyDelete